I’ve decided to start a blog so that I can keep everyone updated with what is going on in my life on a consistent basis. There will be so much information to add to my story that writing it down will be good for me, too. So here goes:
Remember how I mysteriously broke that rib right before we went to Costa Rica? Well, I apparently broke 4 and had no idea. I was in quite a bit of pain before we left, but that didn’t stop me from zip-lining through the jungle or riding horseback on ‘Minifalda’ down a muddy volcano. Had I known what was happening inside my chest I probably wouldn’t have done these things. I’m glad I didn’t know…I had a BLAST!
Two weeks after we got back from vacation, Gunnar and I went to Chic Filet for lunch. As I pushed open the door to leave I felt an explosion in the front of my chest. I literally saw stars. Several days went by and the pain only got more intense. I went to see Dr. Clinkenbeard at McBride for the 2nd time in 3 weeks. To make a long story short, I had an additional 2 visits with him before we decided I needed to get to the ER for a CT scan of my chest. Here begins my journey.
I received the results of the CT scan last Friday night. Since then I’ve had an additional CT scan of my chest, abdomen and pelvis, a full body nuclear bone scan and lots of blood work. The CT shows an expansile lytic lesion measuring 5cm x 2.2cm x 4cm AP. It has caused complete destruction of the posterior cortex of the sternum.
The bone scan reveals POSSIBLE metastatic disease in the four broken ribs.
Shocked? So was I.
Over the next few weeks I will be having more tests, including a core biopsy of the tumor that has destroyed my sternum. Until that test is completed we won’t know exactly what disease process is going on in my body. So, until then I would ask that you pray, pray, pray for my family and myself. I have no doubt in my mind that I have this handled. I do, though, worry terribly for my hubby and kids. So keep them in your prayers, too!
Thank you to my special friend, Gina, that sent me the following verse. As I told her, I really do feel this way 90% of the time. That remaining 10% is tough, though.
‘Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’ (Isaiah 41:10)